A discussion about a possible change in uno

26 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. Nikola,

Greetings everybody. Let's try to discuss a possible change in Uno I had in mind. First, when playing with interceptions and super interceptions, especially in large group games, people often fail their interception. The problem with this is that this message often interrupts your screen reader, and due to a small lag instead of hearing the top card when you press c, you hear that somebody failed, so you have to often press it multiple times, and by the time you hear it the card on top has probably changed already. I had an idea to improve this situation. Instead of notifying everybody of each failed interception, why not give that info at the end of the round? For example, it could look something like this:
BrayWyatt gets 30 points, plus 10 failed interceptions making a total of 60.
This way, no info is lost, but I don't think that it's very useful to hear this information during a round. Optionally, depending on what others think, this info can still be present in the history but not automatically be spoken, although I am not sure if the current implementation allows this. I would be curious to hear your thoughts, and whether you find this information useful, and if so why? Personally, I think this change could improve playing quite a lot. One case where this might be somewhat useful comes to my mind, and it is a situation where your opponent has one card remaining. If he fails a few times, you could assume that he has the right card to finish the round. A last solution is replacing the spoken message with a quiet, short sound each time somebody fails, but I think that could get messy so let's see what others have to say about this.

2. YNWA,

Uno is played so fast you are always behind even if you double the speed of Jaws. This is why Uno is not such a great spectator game. I agree you only need to know what is played and nothing else, maybe a sound when penalties occur would help a bit more with having a little less traffic for Jaws to go through.

3. Nikola,

Yes, spectating is a different story. In that case you either need to press ctrl a lot, or just listen to the sounds and look at the score when the round ends, however that's not the point of this suggestion. I was mainly focusing on playing larger games, if you are a spectator getting information quickly is not the priority.

4. YNWA,

Agreed but the point I was making is that if it is difficult for spectators just trying to listen it is even harder for those playing hence bringing it up but many here are not always able to read between the lines.

5. helleon,

I wish there were a setting so that you could just get JAWS to announce as the card changes and nothing else. I believe another player managed to do this somehow using the dictionary or something, but I'm not sure

6. YNWA,

Never seen that but it is an interesting solution. Is it possible just to name cards without anything else?

7. Fawaz,

With whatever you don't want, replace it with just space or nothing in the screen reader dictionary.
or make it a shorter msg ;)

8. Nikola,

I could do that, but unlike Jaws, NVDA does not have an app specific dictionary. Dictionaries are anyways not made for this. They are used when you want to change the way something is pronounced, not silence something. If you do it this way, not only will you replace those messages while you are playing, but you also can't read any uno history properly.

9. Fawaz,

O didn't mean as a reply to your suggestion, just was replying to the previous comment.
and I completely agree with your suggestion, especially if it is possible to have it in the buffer and access it when you need will be awesome.
may be it can be remove from game / public buffer and gets a separate one or something.
or a shortened msg rather than this quite long one.

10. Nikola,

I see. Yes, shortening it is also an option, but then we run into the issue of beginners possibly not understanding the effect of a failed interception. Somebody also mentioned having a way for the Playroom to simply focus on reading the info we requested, for example if we would press c first read that before anything else. I was also writing about this, but sadly I do not think this is technically possible. The reason this happens in the first place is because you press c, but before the client sends the c request to the server other data arrived, that being a failed interception and thus that is always read first and the server does not even know you pressed anything at this point. Of course, I could be wrong on this, and if I am that would be great since some kind of priority would solve this issue, but I assume this is how things work.

11. Vojvoda ,

To be honest I don't see any use of the information that someone failed an interception. Getting a message at the end of the round would be very cool.

12. YNWA,

There is a use for it, otherwise you would just keep clocking up points without knowing. A sound would suffice but that sound must relate to you and not others who fail an interception.

13. Fawaz,

Beginners won't play with inturseptions though.
Even if that is the case, they'll know after just one round :D

14. Nikola,

Ynwa, we are not talking about a message when you fail. In this case, the Playroom tells you too late. We are talking about when somebody else fails. So no, you would not just keep getting points without knowing.

15. YNWA,

MAYBE IF I PUT IT IN FULL CAPS YOU WILL UNDERSTAND MORE.

YOU STILL NEED TO KNOW WHEN YOU GIVE AWAY 3 POINTS EVEN IF THAT MESSAGE COMES 5, 10, 15 SECONDS LATER TO ENSURE YOU ARE NOT GIVING AWAY TO MANY POINTS. YOU DO NOT REALLY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OTHER PLAYERS. I HAVE PRESSED ENTER ON A CARD AND BECAUSE OF THE WARNING I HAVE DECIDED TO HANG BACK A BIT.

16. helleon,

Ynwa, no one is talking about that warning. That warning will remain! This is in relation to other. players.

17. YNWA,

Which I have already said.

18. helleon,

Alright then. I see, you were making the point that that needs to stay. Fair enough. Apologies

19. Nikola,

Lol, I am the one who does not understand, yet the whole topic has nothing to do with you failing an interception but rather your opponents? Nobody really mentioned the too late message being removed, we were always talking about opponents failing.

20. YNWA,

being removed? what are you talking about? Don't sling accusations without proof!

21. Lemonade,

I have actually used the dictionary to silence stuff a great deal. In fact I would say I do that a lot more than actually changing pronounciation. This isn't necessarily a bad idea though. And yes, NVDA doesn't make it as easy as JAWS.

22. Vojvoda ,

Just an ordinary tree

23. StormProductions,

@everyone, the problem is that the dictionary works everywhere, so sometimes it's kinda hard to read something that contain that phrase you change or remove.

24. Lemonade,

With JAWS that is not the case, which is why I said it was easier with JAWS. oh well.

25. Nikola,

There is actually an addon for application specific dictionaries. I don't think it was ever officially posted, so you can download it from https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcvrawhrb9tkfou/applicationDictionary-1.2-dev.nvda-addon?dl=1
to use, press NVDA shift p to open the app specific dictionary an add entries normally.

26. StormProductions,

@Nikola, Wow! That's an awesome add-on!

26 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post