Suggestion: add a pop-out window when viewing messages on the forums.

9 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Score: +12

Sondage: What do you think about this idea?

What do you think about this idea?

14 (61%)

[majoz, chan, Spongebob, vindication, phoenix009, Mrityunjay, aloysius, Jatayu, Naday, StormProductions, Qais, blaise97, loool, spaceship]

6 (26%)

[ibraheemmohsen, Destranis, Vojvoda, eathan, Nikola, Simmi]

3 (13%)

[Chopin, liam, M_A_G_A]

23 votes
Une seule réponse possible.
Les réponses sont nominatives. Tout le monde peut voir qui a donné quelle réponse.
Ce sondage est clôturé, vous ne pouvez pas y répondre.

1. Jatayu,

Hey guys,
This idea just came to me when reading the forums, because apparently there is an option to "read entire message" when hitting applications on a forum message, also achievable by enter.
However, this usually seems to send the entire text to your screen reader, and if it's a longer paragraph and one wishes to read it more thoroughly it's not super straight forward-I usually have to resort to copying the message and pasting it either in the chat field, or notepad, etc. Longer messages also introduce a bit of lag when being read by the sr, at least with NVDA this happens.
My proposal: Introduce an optional "view message" option that instead of sending the entire message to the playroom buffer and screen reader, opens a pop-out window where you can read the message, similar to when typing a message on the forum /inbox etc. This could be a read-only window, where you could read the message, and read it as intended with proper formatting such as paragraph changes.
One could take this one step further if people really want, and introduce an optional "web view" toggle where the pop-out window would use wx web view, identical to when you read rules for a game in playroom so that the message would retain it's entire formatting with things like markdown also present.
Let me know what you think about this in the pole, and feel free to add additional comments as well of course!

Score: +2

2. Aminiel,

Hello,

Viewing forum directly on the client has never been, and won't ever be suitable for intensive or rich discussions where messages are a little long. It's just a quick interface designed for those who are in a hurry, too fool to open their browser, or aren't very familiar with navigating on the web.
Especially if you are of the later, it allows you to read and participate to the forum almost no matter how well you master your computer and screen reader.

Asking for such a feature is a proof that you are good enough at using the web. So, I encourage you to switch to the web as soon as a discussion is getting to complex or uncomfortable to read on the client.
You can already do so by choosing the "open on the web" option, which will open your browser at the right page.

Viewing the forum directly on the client is basic and will stay basic forever, so to stay usable even for the least computer-aware.
What you suggest won't provide any benefit, neither comparing to the existing "open on the web" option, nor for those who don't master web navigation very well.

Score: +1

3. majoz,

Hello, I don't see a reason why not to have this feature implemented, of course if Aminiel's time schedule allows it. Wouldn't it give much of an importance, but having the messages displayed in an appropriate formatting is never a bad thing. Moreover, I need to disagree with the claim that the internal qc forum view is used only by people who are not enough familiar with the web or too foolish to operate the computer. Personally, I like to think of myself as a very advanced user of the pc, and use the qc internal forum view everytime I open this forum. Having things ordered in a list as it is here is very timesaving and gives me a better image of what topics are currently present here, much better than the one on the web. Thanks for reading, have a good time. :)

4. Jatayu,

@Aminiel
As much as I understand your point of view, I think the previous post also got it right.
I don't think it's just the non advance users who use the playroom forum wrapper. In addition, the web view is just an optional feature I thought of when coming up with this idea and wasn't the primary focus of my post at all. What was the focus was the lag that is introduced in screen readers when trying to read very long messages. You highlighted non advance tech users, allow me to share another perspective regarding the same:
This lag can easily throw said players off, since if they are not adept at computers they may think their machine, or screen reader is frozen(especially since these messages are sent to the buffers, so you encounter them when pressing page up and down as well)
Therefore I don't think a simple popout view to read longer messages would hurt at all, but of course in the end it is up to you. Keep in mind once again I give importance to the viewer window, say a read only thing, not the webview. The latter is not very important, I agree.

Dernière édition par Jatayu, 10.01.2023 08:21

5. StormProductions,

I totally agree with Majoz and the OP here. I'm of the opinion that such a feature wouldn't hurt at all, in fact, it would add a plus in the interface. I feel that the explanations you gave in your post here, Aminiel, are not quite substantiated. I can also certainly consider myself an advanced user of pCs, however, I prefer viewing the forum from the client. So, again, I see no reason why this feature should not be implemented. But, the decision is yours, I'm just trying to understand some things.

6. Spongebob,

"@Aminiel, your opinion and perspective are greatly valued and respected. However, I must respectfully disagree with your stance on the proposed feature. I firmly believe that this feature would greatly enhance the playroom forum for all users, regardless of their level of experience with web navigation. The ability to view messages in a pop-out window with proper formatting would greatly improve readability and understanding of longer messages. Additionally, the web view toggle is a fantastic idea because it would allow users to view messages with markdown and other formatting intact. The poll results also indicate strong support for this feature among the users of the platform rather than your opinion. I understand that you have your own considerations but I would like to point my finger at the poll above. I suggest you to consider the implementation of this feature as it would greatly benefit the community and the overall user experience.

Oh Oh Oh, also. for those who are using the client to access the forums, you are a fool, as stated above by... Someone.

7. lucy_light,

I totally agree with the above. Personally, I would find it easier to read, copy and understand forum messages that way, in their original format and particular window, as it puts the focus on the content, thing which makes our work much easier in terms of communication. I also believe that the way this suggestion of many people just wanting to state their opinions in here was a bit roughly recieved , to say it in a gentle way. Enough with that from my end though, let's continue looking forward for the features!

8. amirmahdifard,

I like to use the forme directly from the client, I don't like using the website for it, I don't like navigating web view pages.

Score: +0

9. Jatayu,

Well I'm glad to see more people agreeing to this. The pole is unfortunately closed, but quite a few people did vote (as well as upvote the topic). However, from what I was able to surmise from @aminiel's post he has no interest in implementing this as of now, but I think it's great people are expressing their opinions on the suggestion none the less.

9 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Répondre au sujet

Vous devez être connecté pour pouvoir poster.

Mot de passe perdu ? Créer un compte