Help me process faster.

4 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Score: +6

1. Radiant,

Greetings!
After experiencing several chaotic Uno matches in a row, I've come to realize that my performance is partly affected by other factors. For instance, I have to rely on a faster screen reader speech to know when it's my turn, or I have to spam the 't' key, which, in my opinion, is very unreliable.
Initially, my idea was to suggest adding a sound to indicate my turn. However, while tinkering around in the settings, I discovered that such a feature already exists. The problem is that it's too loud and a bit long.
Therefore, I'd like to propose two possible suggestions that could be beneficial for everyone in the long run:

1. Implement a speech interrupt method for screen readers. For instance, whenever new text arrives, the screen readers would be interrupted from their current speech and start reading the new text. I believe this method already exists in the accessibleOutput2 library.
  2. Replace the current turn indication sound with a less intrusive sound, like a simple bell ding, which should suffice for the purpose.
  3. I hope these suggestions will improve the overall user experience and make the game more accessible to all players. Thank you for considering these ideas.

Score: -1

2. Nikola,

Hello,
for the first suggestion, I do not particularly care. Speech interrupt used to be available in V2, and just like you, I thought it could help in Uno, so I gave it a try. Unfortunately, if you hear something like:
Nikola plays a red 2.
It's somebodyRandom's turn.

These 2 messages are spoken one after another, and enabling speech interrupt would just make you miss whatever was played all the time, so that was quite pointless since the second message would interrupt the first one, and that actually makes sense and I have no idea how it would be improved to be useful, hence I never made any suggestions about it.

The second one on the other hand, this is something that I would like as well, but I think it requires a few explanations since I do not believe it is as simple as replacing a sound, and this is the only sound modification that I absolutely need to do to the Playroom client, but it makes the experience a lot better.

In reality, we enable this sound by setting the notifications channel to play always (the default is only when inactive).
However, what this does is cause 2 sounds to play at the same time when it is your turn. Yourturn.ogg and wink.ogg.
The first sound is not intrusive at all, it's just a simple ding. The second sound is the problematic one however, since this is the same sound you get when receiving an inbox/friend request.
Why do two sounds play, you may wonder? This is because the purpose of this sound is so that when you aren't on the Playroom window, doing something else, and your turn comes, you get notified, that is even the main purpose, so this needs to be a little bit louder.
Hence my sound modification from earlier, typically I replace wink.ogg to be exactly the same as yourturn.ogg. This does mean that my inbox sound is now no longer so great, but I deal with it, because it is just great having a sound when your turn comes, not only for Uno. This improves the situation a lot also when chatting and playing, as you can now know right away when your turn comes, stop typing a message, play your turn, continue typing.

I'm also not sure what is the ideal way to solve this either. On the web client, the situation is perfect, and exactly how I would like on Windows, only the yourturn sound plays if you enable this. On the other hand, I am not sure if people who multi task may dislike such a change on Windows. I personally wouldn't, but I am also the person who keeps game sounds enabled always, so this is not relevant for me. I can however absolutely confirm that this change will help you in Uno, and I recommend it to everyone.
I am so used to it by now that I almost cannot play Uno properly without performing it.

On the other hand, something that annoys me a lot, particularly in 7 or more players game is that when you are arrowing through your cards, messages about who played what are very often spoken before the focused item, and this makes the experience quite bad. I wish that shift+f8 would disable reading of automatic messages, but if you pressed something like C, T, and other keys, this would read, since you are the one who requested the information. That way I would honestly even just consider disabling automatic speech completely in Uno.

Anyway, that was quite a longer post, but hopefully it helps, and perhaps a future client update also does something to solve this.

Score: +2

3. Ryo-Bee,

If you play Uno with interceptions, it can switch from your turn to not so much that this just becomes a distraction especially due to reverses and skips.

Score: +0

4. blaise97,

the ideal solutions about sounds if possible is to stay to what is it now when you are on another window, but when you are on the playroom window just play yourturn.ogg. i also agreed for the speach suggestion, this is a very good idea.

Score: +0

4 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Répondre au sujet

Vous devez être connecté pour pouvoir poster.

Mot de passe perdu ? Créer un compte