LETTER VALUES DIFFER IN OTHER LANGUAGES IN THE SCRABBLE BOARD GAME

4 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Score: +0

1. YNWA,

This message is a little bit with my Quiz Party hat on but also my personal interest.

When checking a couple of Scrabble score values I noticed the correct answer was different from what I knew having played since my teens in the late 80's. When I was finding out about scrabble in more depth I read an article saying that The English language Scrabble was different to other languages because some letters that were less commonly used in English were more common in other languages meaning they were given a lower scoring value in other languages compared to the higher value they were given in the English language version. Equally letters that were less common in other languages that had a high points value was given a lower points value in the English language version because they appeared more frequently.

I know that the letter E is the most common letter in the English language and that is given just 1 point in scrabble. So the question I would be interested to find out is what differences do people have in their versions of scrabble that is in their own language?

2. Aminiel,

Hello,

Interesting post. Many players already asked me to add scrabble to the available games, and you might be well very helpful to say how many points is worth each letter and how many times each of them appear in the boneyard, if one day I really decide to propose scrabble in the playroom.

But the biggest differences are probably not in the number and the value of the letters, but in the rules themselves. In French, we ignore accented letters such as é; and as far as I know, in German they count, and in Spanish you have special tokens LL and CH that count for a single square and can't be replaced by two individual letters.

To answer to your initial question, here are the values of the letters in french as I remember :

1. 1
  2. 3
  3. 3
  4. 2
  5. 1
  6. 4
  7. 2
  8. 4
  9. 1
  10. 8
  11. 10
  12. 1
  13. 2
  14. 1
  15. 1
  16. 3
  17. 8
  18. 1
  19. 1
  20. 1
  21. 1
  22. 4
  23. 10
  24. 10
  25. 10
  26. 10

3. YNWA,

I think you mean a blank. We have 2 of them in the English version. They work the same way as they do in Tarat or Rummy. So if we take the word hello then you can have hell and blank that acts as an 'o'.

4. Aminiel,

Not at all. There are also 2 jokers in the french version but I weren't talking about them.

4 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Répondre au sujet

Vous devez être connecté pour pouvoir poster.