word game suggestion

15 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Score: +0

1. MsJafarria,

Here's a word game I like to play called ghost. I think it would be fun to play on quenton c along with the other brain games quiz party ad little exam.

For those of you who don't know, here's how to play. Let's take the title "ghost" as an example. I say the lettr g. The next person says the letter h. The next person says the letter s. Then the next person says the letter t making the word ghost. The first person to say (or in this case, type) a letter that makes a word is out. The number one rule is that you can't say (or type) random letters tha don't lead to or make a word.

2. ElCamareroDesencamaronilizado ,

interesting, so interesting...

3. MsJafarria,

Glad you think so. I hope it does come into fruition.

4. ElCamareroDesencamaronilizado ,

i just wanna sleep!

5. Aminiel,

Hello,

OK. This game seem mostly to be the one called "qart de singe" in french (literal approximate translation: quarter of monkey).

The rules are a bit different in the french version though:
After having made GHOST, next players can say L, and then Y for example.
There is no longer word that exists in the dictionary starting with GHOSTLY, so depending on the variant, the player who said Y wins, or the one who come after loses.

However, the big problem with this kind of game is the dictionary. It's very difficult to have a single dictionary that will make everybody happy in a world-wide context like the playroom.
It's very frustrating if you are sure that your word is in the dictionary, but in fact isn't because it's a regional word, and in the same time it's almost impossible to add all words of all regions because some are extremely local though no less arguably legitimate.

Additionally, there are different grammar rules depending on the language that can affect the game: for example, usually in word games, in french, we don't care about accented letters, i.e. "é", "è", and "e" are all the same;
in german, they does count; in spanish, "ll" is different than two consecutive "l" in certain cases; etc.

Of course, we could decide to stick to whatever official dictionary, for example the one used from scrabble.
But in fact I think that it's probably very limiting. It isn't always easy to know if a word is hyper local, regional to a department/state/etc, or really officially present in the dictionary of the language; so the frustrations are probably going to be high. Perhaps not in English for non-natives, but for native speakers, I'm pretty sure that it does. It isn't clear either what is standard English/french/spanish/whatever and what isn't.

This aspect still refrain me from developing any word game for the playroom, inspite of many requests and proposals.

What does the community think ?

Dernière édition par Aminiel, 27.07.2020 17:13

6. Marina,

I also think that most word games need a voice chat, and they lose a lot of their spontaneity if they are typed, since it is known that people tend to think more when typing/writing.
But maybe there could be few exceptions, like for example writing the words backwards or such games. In fact, we sometimes do this for fun in free tables, but I think it would be better if it was implemented so the computer can determine not only who wrote it first, but also who wrote it correctly.

7. YNWA,

I did propose a game called Chain reaction previously which would have worked but you didn't quite get the idea of. People would have been able to send in their own chains and each chain would have been selected randomly.

You are given a top word and a bottom word and you can work from the top to the bottom. Your words has to only relate to the word next to it in the chain not all words in the chain. So word 1 has to relate to word 2 and word 2 has to relate to word 3 and so on. If you cannot guess the word correctly you are given a letter, if you cannot guess it correctly it passes to the next player and they are given a further letter untill there is only 1 letter left.

first word is good

Good

You could choose news, Times, Morning, night, evening, or whatever you think.

I choose the word morning, I am wrong so lose a bonus point but am given a letter.

it now reads...

Good
n

I think, news, night, neighbour

I choose news, I am wrong so it passes over to the next player.

they are given the letter I. Where there is only 1 letter left they are told that there is no more letters left when they would have received another letter.

it now reads...

good
ni

The next player now thinks Night so they type in the word night and they are correct.

so we have

good
night

they now have to guess the next word.

a sample chain could read.

good
night
out
shopping
day
time
over

if you put words together you will see how each word is connected.

good night

night out

out shopping

shopping day

day time

time over

I think people could create chains in other languages. I suggest 7 word chains to start with.

as I said above the 7th word in this sample was over. so people would have tried to guess word 6 without a letter for a bonus of 2 points.

word 5 day and word 7 over, so would have had to guess time, day time/time over.

INSTRUCTIONS

1 give out words 1 and 7.

1. first player try to guess word 2 without letters for 2 points.
  2. give first letter of second word to first player for just 1 point.
  3. pass over to next player and give them a second letter.
  4. if their guess is wrong pass over to next player and give them a third letter if not possible say no more letters.
  5. 5.1 If correct give them a chance to guess third word with no letters for 2 points.
    5.2 if incorrect pass to next player .

6. do this until chain is completed.

People can select at start of game the amount of time they want to give each other to think of a possible word.

I hope it is a bit clearer now.

8. spaceship,

Writing backward is fun but there is a trick which makes it much easier. Just type a letter and hit left arrow.

9. YNWA,

Do you know what the longest word is?

smiles because it goes for miles and miles, lol.

10. Aminiel,

Do you know what the longest word is?

elastic

11. YNWA,

not if I have cut it, lol

12. StormProductions,

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?

13. dragonoid,

do you know what is the longest name of a place in europ? llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerechwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
it's a vilage in wales, and the aproximate pronunciation of it is shlan var push gwingush goo gereHwerndrobush shlanti silio gogogoH
sorry if it's a nonsence, but the capital h is refering to the spanish way of pronouncing the leter x if it's in a word, and sorry again if this is considered rule braking

14. Alan1003,

ok, :), rofl, lol, heheheh! so, funny!

15. shieuji,

This game has been added to rs Games and I think it is a good suggestion

15 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Répondre au sujet

Vous devez être connecté pour pouvoir poster.