installing ubuntu on virtual machine

13 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Score: +1

1. sky360,

greetings, I am trying to install ubuntu on my VMware player, but I am not able to select setup options like keyboard layout and installation type using NVDA OCR. how ever when I installed windows XP and windows 8.1, I was able to do it without any issue using OCR. so is there any other way that I can do it independently? or do I need to take sighted help. looking forward to your answers, thank you.

Score: +0

2. Gingerbread,

try the following! When the setup starts, press Windows+alt+s or press alt+f2 and write orca --replace and then press enter.

3. sky360,

hi. I tried it but unfortunately orca didn't turn on, and I also tried setting the keyboard layout using the terminal but it is saying that sudo command is not found. roflflfl

4. Gingerbread,

what kind of Ubuntu are you installing and what version?

5. sky360,

6. spaceship,

Depends on your specific use case, but if you are particularly interested in the terminal of linux with the coding aspect, I suggest use wsl and use vs code as the environment.

7. sky360,

hi. thank you for all your inputs, yes I Am interested in coding, but 1st I want to get used to Linux and orca. I tried to install on my own but it looks the set up wizard couldn't be properly operated with the keyboard. luckily, I was able to ask one of my friend to help me go through the set up process, now that that's done, I can use orca for most of the things passed the set up. so have just started exploring Linux.

8. Gingerbread,

regarding the GUI, it's not very useful to know but if you need to use a GUI you should take a look to Ubuntu Mate instead of the traditional Ubuntu. Mate desktop is a fork of gnome 2.x (a kind of retro version of GNOME), and it's accessibility is better.

9. ubuntu,

I believe Linux is not made for gui.
If you want better gui, or like to worrk with good interface, then windows is very good.
Linux is very good for persons who prefer console.
also, as spaceship mention above, wsl is very good option instead of VMware.

10. Moriarty,

Hello everyone, a daily Linux user here.
First of all, I would like to clarify the statements here about Linux and GUI are a myth. Yes, there are few people using Linux from terminal only, yes, Linux is a modern, fully GUI usable system and yes, it's accessible and yes, knowing a terminal is a good thing even if you're a regular user, you'll use GUI 99% of the time, but terminal can save you a lot of time.
As already stated here, Ubuntu Mate is the most accessible distribution right now. It can be installed without any sighted assistance, since Orca is included by default and the installer is accessible, I've done this many many times on physical devices as well as VMs. I really recommend going with 23.04, as important accessibility development in Orca has been made since that doesn't work in the LTS unfortunately.
When it comes to Mate, you may want to check out my umai and mlock projects, see:
https://github.com/RastislavKish

you'll find another Linux related content too!
Note: I've been planning on making few changes in umai, to make it compatible with UM 23.04, but also to reflect new circumstances and best practices.
If you like the project and would like to use it, please PM me, I'll bump it on my todo list so you could get the best possible experience. Don't wory, it's nothing big, just few changes, it's just me being partly lazy and partly busy to make them happen.

Also, one personal recommendation. VMs are good, but if you want to truly get a grip of Linux, nothing beats installing it on your own laptop and using it for at least a month. That way, you won't get bored after few minutes of playing, you will get better impressions when you find non-obvious solutions, and also, you'll have a much faster response time than any Windows VM software can provide.

For further tips, you can search my audiogames.net messages for the keyword Linux, I had been giving hints several times on the forum.
you can also join our Orca mailing list at freelists, or the Blinux mailing list.

Have fun!

Score: +1

11. girmit,

Moriarty, actually I was using 22.04 lts, then tried to upgrade to 23.04, while upgrading, restarted the system. then a kernel problem occurred, then I digged some website and resolved the issue. now, using latest kernel I think 6.2 in my system, the sounds are not at all playing and whenever dpkg --configure -a command issued, it's stucking in PostgreSQL old version something I don't know since I can't turn on orca also because of sound issue. I can't upgrade or update the system also. any help is appreciated. thanks.

12. Moriarty,

On a phisical machine, it may be useful to insert an external USB sound card if you have one, or even headphones to get the sound going. The specific issue blocking the audio is hard to tell over the distance, it can be anything from problems in pipewire through device recognition problems to configuration problems, you can find troubleshooting guides online. Though I wonder, would it be too big of a trouble to make a clean system install? In case of Ubuntu, you can activate a live session after booting from the installation media, from there you can backup any files you have on your hard-drive and then just wipe everything and install again. It sounds like an operation, but Linux installations are quick, setting up the machine is not that difficult, and you may save yourself a lot of burden you'd othervise spend with debugging.

13. girmit,

its was pipewire-alsa package issue. i installed and audio working perfect moriarty

13 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Retour à la liste des sujets

Répondre au sujet

Vous devez être connecté pour pouvoir poster.

Mot de passe perdu ? Créer un compte