Free software and distributed servers (translation)

3 сообщений, 1 страниц:  1 ↖ Вернуться к списку тем

счёт: +0

1. sukil,

This message was posted on the spanish forum at http://qcsalon.net/es/forum30/topic10046

Hello,
I know the idea is strange, but we don't loose anything proposing it. I would like that the Playroom was free software, both server and client. I've always wanted to know how it works internally, with all its algorythms which set and control the rules of the games. Making it open-source, it would provide advantages like:

• More recognition from the community.
  • Error detection and code optimisation from esxternal users.
  • A possible increase in the donations.
  • Translation to more languages, and improvements to existing translations.
  • On the other hand, if binaries which other users can run on their servers are created, a distributed servers network is optained, which provides with:
  • Less conflicts between users
  • Less load for the central server.
  • An easier life for all the operators and administrators.
  • The possibility of playing in a local network and enjoy games at high speeds when the Internet connection is slow.

Please tell me what you think, both operators and the rest of users over here.
Greetings.

Последнее изменение sukil, 16.04.2015 21:42:33

2. LaraStardust,

personally i think this would be a bad idea.
Firstly there are major security risks to both the pr and to users information,
second it takes away boom from the main pr server, which there is nothing wrong with and is fast anyway,
thirdly it opens up the way for forgers, spammers and other such peple,
fourthyly if you want more operaters ask aminel and mayaa and i'm sure they'll be willing to recruit some help,
i've lost count now so also the admins are really responsive as it is and they take our suggestions on board and oftern operate on them as quick as humanely possible.
And while yes it does have some minor problems they are being fixed literally as i type.

Ever heard the saying if its not broke don't fix it?
Well this, in my opinion, applies to the pr, its perfect. Don't mess with it.

That's my opinion.
Thanks

3. Aminiel,

Hello,

In general, I'm a lot in favor of open source software.

However, in the case of an online game like the playroom, I should admit that, it's, simply, impossible.

First of all and mainly because of security and in-game cheating. If you have access to the code, it's true that you can help finding and fixing bugs, but I'm convinced that a minority of stupid people will take their entire time trying to find security holes and ways to cheat. There are always bugs and security holes in programs, it's unavoidable. At the end everybody might be exposed to risks, and, if everybody is playing unfair, honnest people will definitely lose pleasure to play and thus quickly leave for ever. The only open source massively online game I know of are games for programmers.

Secondly, the playroom is not only a gaming platform but has also become a small social network where you can meet friends. It's important that everyone go in the same place and are able to meet anyone, or find whoever opponents to play, at any time. There have been a few trials to make P2P social networks, but up to now they are quite unsuccessful. By the way, I don't know of any P2P-based online game. Anyway going into P2P technology is extremely hard, and whould need a complete redesign of the system.

Third, you say that you could play on a LAN and/or your private network and enjoy high speed connections. Yes, perhaps; but by having a central server, you avoid the biggest problem of needing to configure routers. Considering that the population of the playroom is very ethrogeneous in ages and origins, near to 99% of people don't know at all how to do that, and that's precisely the reason why classical online games like topspeed aren't played so often.

3 сообщений, 1 страниц:  1 ↖ Вернуться к списку тем

Ответить на тему

Чтобы писать на форуме, вам нужно сначала войти.

Забыли пароль? Создать учётную запись