add voice chats to the playroom (~LabelDone~)

41 сообщений, 2 страниц:  12 ↖ Вернуться к списку тем

счёт: +32

31. Nikola,

Do you have an average of 500 to 600 users on Your TeamTalk server? Because that is the amount of users regularly on the Playroom.

счёт: +0

Последнее изменение Nikola, 06.01.2024 17:29:32

32. Muamal,

well most players here keep the game online and go away, including myself. I keep the game online 24 hours and I bet you do the same. So, I can say that 60% will not use the voice chat, not to mention those who don't want to use it at all. Based on these facts, I can tell you that the number does not exceed more than 200 clients transmitting audio at the same time, and this does not require a lot of bandwidth.

Последнее изменение Muamal, 06.01.2024 17:55:59

33. Nikola,

That's alright, but the feature is not developed with an assumption that most people will not use it, it is developed assuming that everybody who wants can use it. I have no doubt that, especially during the first few weeks/months, almost everybody will want to try the voice chat at the same time.

Anyway, the opinion of the developer was given in post 17, and in my opinion, closing this topic should be seriously considered.
I don't say this because every suggestion that is refused should just be closed without any further discussion, or something like that, I say this mostly because this topic serves absolutely no purpose anymore.
From time to time, it is revived just so that someone says again "I agree", "this would be great", "Too bad we don't have voice chat", and similar. If you agree, plus 1 the topic and this will clearly show your support.
I understand that this is one of the more popular suggestions, and it should definitely be considered taking technical difficulties under advisement, but it's far from essential. There is anyway another item that wasn't really considered and that nobody takes into account, moderation:

Assuming all the technical problems are resolved and we have a perfect server, moderating a voice discussion is much more difficult than text. Certainly nobody wants to have their conversations recorded all the time, but at the same time it's really easy to insult someone over and over and get away with it. Obviously there would probably be some system to send a report similar to now, but again, listening to a potentially long conversation is a lot more time consuming than reading a history report.
Bad actors would certainly start using voice chats a lot more for abuse, just because it is easier to get away with it.

The way we have it now is not so bad, if you think about it. Once you get to know someone, you become closer friends, and essentially, you exchange your Skype, WhatsApp, whatever else you use, and you can voice chat as long as you want. It's your responsibility to pick your friends and share your personal information.

To summarize, in principle I am not against voice chats, and they can certainly be benefitial, but it is undeniable that they also bring a lot of problems that have to be discussed.

счёт: +1

34. Muamal,

Regarding insults through voice chat, I have already suggested the possibility of disabling voice chat by the table master. Not to mention that you can either kick the person out or leave the table, or perhaps mute them. I mean, all these things are simple and can be dealt with. Be positive and you will see that my words are logical.

35. GeorgeWu,

@ Muamal I agree with you on your posts.

Последнее изменение GeorgeWu, 06.01.2024 20:47:16

36. Mortem,

The bandwidth thing is hard to accurately judge, because it would depend on usage patterns. Could be as low as dozens of gb per month and as high as dozens of tb (it would never ever reach dozens of tb, that is a theoretical limit). Seems this server is hosted with OVH, which has unmetered bandwidth, with transfer speed between 100mbps and 2gbps depending on the plan. If playroom is hosted on one of the lower-level plans, maxing out the transfer speed could be a real issue.

All that being said, it's just not going to happen LOL. Aminiel has said no multiple times, it would require a lot of development time, etc. This topic should probably be closed.

Последнее изменение Mortem, 06.01.2024 20:53:16

37. GeorgeWu,

Maybe it's just me, but maybe he doesn't wanna add voice chat because he doesn't want to. I try not to be rude or disrespectful, but that's what I think in my mind.
Also, what is OVH? Is that some kind of server hosting?

Последнее изменение GeorgeWu, 06.01.2024 20:59:54

38. Muamal,

I don't know why everyone is interested in closing the topic. Anyway, I have stated what I have, and the matter is up to the developer. thanks for readding.

39. unolover,

maby rs and playroom should murdge

40. Muamal,

bad idea because i don't know how to play 99 in rs :D

41. Marina,

I rather am not sure if you know who the developer is, because if your only purpose is just for the developer to see it, then he already did and already answered in this topic and a few others. He explained why it’s not something that is going to happen at the moment. I think I agree that at this point this topic really has served its purpose now.
For the reference I am going to Quote Aminiel’s message here on this topic again and then close it.
Aminiel wrote:

Hello,
I have already given several times a couple reasons why we don't want to implement voice chat on the playroom, at least not at short or middle term. It hasn't changed from last time.

• It's much more complex than just pressing a button to open up your mic
  • We aren't sure that the server could well follow the load
  • There are already several software doing it, and even if they aren't as accessible as the playroom, they stay still reasonably usable.
  • Concerning push-to-talk, I'm not convinced that it would be really useful:
  • Not everybody accept to listen to and/or record voice messages
  • It can maybe be useful in an asynchronous setting, like permanent messages, but probably much less in a live setting like on a time during a game, where it's time consuming to listen to messages (much more than with text), and it's quite unnatural.
  • So, maybe, why not, one day, for permanent vocal messages, but really, at a table, I'm not convinced at all.

счёт: +2

Последнее изменение Marina, 06.01.2024 23:17:42

41 сообщений, 2 страниц:  12 ↖ Вернуться к списку тем

Ответить на тему

Чтобы писать на форуме, вам нужно сначала войти.

Забыли пароль? Создать учётную запись