Changes to keyboard shortcuts for the web client on the mac

2 сообщений, 1 страниц:  1 ↖ Вернуться к списку тем

счёт: +0

1. rockstar2013,

Hi all,
I have seen something strange with the web client, a long standing issue. In many cross-platform web apps, perhaps as a convention, the command key on the mac is used instead of the CTRL key in key combinations, but the web client still uses the cTRL key. On laptop keyboards, more often than not, you will find only the left control key but not the right one, which is very inconvenient.
If appropriate changes are made such that the web client uses the command key on the mac and the CTRL key on the rest of the platforms, it would be grateful.
Thanks in advance.

счёт: +0

2. Nikola,

Hello,
I understand your reasoning perfectly, and you are completely right that this is not the usual convention, but I would still keep ctrl.

If we would switch to Command, we would start entering into a lot of system conflicts that cannot be resolved. Some examples:

• Command+H: Hides the Window (make the table private shortcut).
  • Command+T: Opens a new tab (Find out the game duration shortcut).
  • Command+M: Minimize (send a PM shortcut).
  • Command+R: Reload page (Replace a player shortcut).

And so on... This is just off the top of my head. By starting to really use it, I would probably discover a lot more.

For a while, I was thinking about the idea of having operating system specific mappings for the Web client that can be picked in the settings and that would be tested on different systems and chosen appropriately, but even with such a feature, I wouldn't imagine switching to Command on the Mac. The Playroom has too many shortcuts that would need to be changed on the global level for this to work.
This is also one concern that will apply even with a native Mac client though, so if that ever becomes a possibility, it will need to be thought about again.

With the CTRL key, only one conflict exists that I am aware of, ctrl+space is used to switch the keyboard layout. I have however changed that shortcut in the system settings to ctrl+shift+space for the keyboard layout switch, and this solved the conflict perfectly.
It is true that most of my examples can be solved in a similar way, but I certainly find it a lot more annoying to change several shortcuts all located in different sections compared to just one, and even more annoying to find different shortcuts that don't conflict with something else I am doing.

счёт: +1

Последнее изменение Nikola, 27.12.2023 09:06:15

2 сообщений, 1 страниц:  1 ↖ Вернуться к списку тем

Ответить на тему

Чтобы писать на форуме, вам нужно сначала войти.

Забыли пароль? Создать учётную запись