Your experiences with online language courses and other ways to improve your language skills

10 Nachrichten, 1 Seiten: 1  ↖ Zurück zur Themenliste

~msgScore~: +0

1. majoz,

Hello,
I would like to upgrade my english skills and i've looked on the internet for how to do that. I found out that there's a possibility to take a free online english course, but before signing up into one or searching for another kind of a course, I wanted to ask you all if you have any experiences with these things. I'd like to know if these websites are accessible for screen reader users, how it actually works in communicating with other students or the professors, etc. I'll be very glad for any kind of an answer from any of you.
Thanks in advance,
Majoz

2. Sajad-Aliraqi,

For me it's nothing fancy if we already know how the language works. We painstakingly shall read a few books, and trust me, people who speak fluent English, the most they did was to read a few books based on their liking, plus using dictionaries to identify the signifit meaning of the phrase. And usually the unusual words that our ears haven't heard get mentioned repeatedly in several books. And that's one of the ways why readers do not forget the words they learn.
I intend to read but I am not a fan of it.

3. Vojvoda ,

I also would recommend you reading some books in English. You know how to build sentences all you could need is some more formal way to express feelings and stuff like that. The best is even to take some book in docx format so that you can check spelling anytime. Accessible PDF works too.

4. majoz,

And do you know where to easily get those books from? The only way I've seen so far is buying these books online.

5. Naday,

There're different ways to find those books. I would suggest you to first look for books that you already know so you at first don't get so lost about what goes on there, I suggest also to have near a dictionary or a translator for any word or phrase that you can not understand or that does not make sense for you. At the start you might find a lot of them but as you continue reading, they shall be less. So simply try first searching with google the name of some book you are interested in, and you will have some luck there. Also there is this website https://archive.org/ there you might find lots of free books, though I hadn't tested how does it work. Another thing I suggest you to train your ear is listening documentaries and as you learn english, you also get to know more things of whatever those documentaries are. Talking more with native speakers and asking them for advices is also a good idea, but not them all will advice you because they might just take your english as a good one or at least understandable one, but I believe that some of them will help you to correct your mistakes and they will also use new words, so this shall help you somehow.

6. sound2,

Using documentaries to learn english is a good idea. I'm sure there are plenty on youtube, depending on what you are interested in. The episodes aren't always in order though.

7. Fawaz,

hello,
these websites in general accessible, but the course it self might contains video or visual contant.
once I tried a course for EILTS exam from a website called 'future learn' that was very accessible.
as well exd.org. only once I tried edumy.com I bought a course but didn't play with it yet.
but for language learning people usually recommend duolingo or better to memerize most common words like 1000 or 3000 then start to listen and read.
there are apps you can find will be listing these words. also there are apps you can talk to some other native speaker for 30 minutes or x long, then at the end of the conversation they'll correct your mistakes.
but i didn't try any of it so can't recommend one.
good luck.

8. Lemonade,

I've heard lots of good things about dualingo as well. Never tried it myself, but it's probably worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

9. balasana ,

Yes, duolingo is good. Using its iPhone app now to learn French. It gives vocabulary, listening, speaking and speling exercises. But I think it's only good for beginners.

10. Naday,

I don't think that it's good only for beginners, truth is that your learning of a language won't depend only on duolingo but on how much you put into it, to how much people do you talk in that language and also will depend on how many sources you use to learn the language. It is not only about solving those excercises on duolingo but of practicing wherever and however you can. When I learn a language, sometimes, to help myself I try to speak loudly and to myself to try to make a conversation and see how much I am able to say. I don't know if that's normal lol but at least I do so and helps me to feel a bit more confident with myself and the language.

10 Nachrichten, 1 Seiten: 1  ↖ Zurück zur Themenliste

Auf das Thema antworten

Sie müssen angemeldet sein, um posten zu können