Info request for tournaments

8 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. Black-Samurai,

Hi everyone, i've just heard of something in the playroom called tournaments, but noone would tell me anything about it. If any of you are interested, give me some info about how to host a tournament, how it works, etc. Thanks.

2. Nikola,

Hello,
there is nothing special involved, the tournaments are simply posted here on the forum. If you want to participate, it is enough to simply reply to the specific topic and say that you want to participate, making sure as best as possible to be there on time, and one of the organizers will invite you to a table. The draws are also usually posted in advance so you can know who are you facing.

As for hosting, usually it is best to find a few people willing to help you. Before that however, you should choose the game, the exact rules and the format for your tournament. This includes things such as rules, number of players required, as well as number of tables, or how players will be eliminated, as well as the time and date for the tournament itself. With all of that ready, you can feel free to post a new topic in the tournaments room announcing your tournament and waiting for people to sign up. Usually, you assign a few people who you trust as the table masters, so they can watch the games and submit the scores to you after they are finished. If you receive more players than you need, it is always a good idea to keep them on the standby list, this way you can have replacements in case someone does not turn up.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions, you can feel free to ask, and good luck.

Last edited by Nikola, Jun 7 2020 00:19:51

3. marmarmar,

I think the best way to keep track of scores is to use microsoft excel.
If there's a more efficient way, you can tell me about it here.

4. Black-Samurai,

But how do you store those info about your tournaments (the time, participants, etc)? Is there a special interface in the playroom to write it down? Or do you just remember it?

5. Nikola,

No, you simply write it yourself, in a text file for example.

6. marmarmar,

I actually realised microsoft excel would be good only if there were no groups.
If there are groups, you have to make a separate document for each group.
Elimination would not work efficiently as well.
If I used excel's sort feature, I'm sure I would eliminate the people I didn't intend to.
This is an example excel sheet to illustrate what I mean.
Note: the - sign indicates the next column.
player-score
player1-600
player2-900
player3-700
player4-800

Now I need to eliminate 2 players with the lovest score in this group. I would sort the second column descending and eliminate two bottom players.
I would get the following sheet wouldn't I?

player-score
player1-900
player2-800
player3-700
player4-600

This is not what I want. I not only need to sort the scores but I also need to make sure the correct players are eliminated (see the first sheet).
Is there a way to do such a thing in excel? If there's no way, I think I will write a bgt script for this purpose. I know I can eliminate the correct players alone, but I think it would take really long for me.

7. Nikola,

It would take really long to delete two rows? Yeah, there might be a way to do it, but you are not dealing with 50 cells so that this takes too long and you need to automate it.

8. marmarmar,

You may be right, but if I have 8 such groups and 8 such sheets then it may, in fact take abit long to announce the 16 players who stay in-game.
Atleast I imagin it like that.
I suppose I have to create a tournament and see how it goes.

8 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post