Barbu: Trump contract and overcutting, should it work like this?

4 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. Nikola,

Hello,
this is possibly not a bug, but I wanted to ask a question and see if this is the intended behaviour or not.
In Barbu, when the contract selected is Trump, and the game says it isn't mandatory to cut, it is possible to overcut a trump even if you still have the suit.
For example:
Let's imagine the trump is hearts. Player 1 plays 2 of spade. Player 2 has no Spades, so he cuts with a 2 of heart. Then, player 3 has Spades, but the game still allows him to overcut with a heart.
Should this be allowed according to the rules?

2. Aminiel,

Hello,

If cutting isn't mandatory than yes. I realise that wording is maybe badly chosen, but there are three general possibilities when playing with a trick taking game with trump suit:

1. You are allowed to cut only if you can't follow suit, and in this case if you can cut, then you have to do so. Also, you must overcut, or undercut if you can't overcut.
  2. You are allowed to cut only if you can't follow suit, but in this case even if you can cut, you don't have to do so. You may undercut even if you can overcut.
  3. You may cut at any time, and if you can't follow suit then even if you can cut, you don't have to do so. You may undercut even if you can overcut.

Tarot and belote work like #1, spades like #2, and Jass like #3. Traditionally barbu works like #1, but you can choose #3 and/or it appears sometimes at random.

With the hope that it's clearer now. If you have a better wording to suggest, I'm open.

Score: +1

Last edited by Aminiel, Nov 8 2020 11:04:57

3. Nikola,

Thanks for that explanation Aminiel. I understood the not mandatory to cut rule just like the point 2 you wrote, and like it works in Spades, so you don't have to cut, but you still have to follow the suit. Now it's clear. Perhaps instead of just saying cutting isn't mandatory, you should say cutting or following the suit isn't mandatory?

4. YNWA,

cutting or following the suit is NOT mandatory?

I would not use shortened forms of words such as isn't can't couldn't etc unless for speech.

I have noticed recently that the word NOT appears in full caps to help sighted people.

Last edited by YNWA, Nov 10 2020 17:05:36

4 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post