Bug with playroom settings

7 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. Black-Samurai,

There is this bug where I set my settings once, then when I leave the playroom and reenter the settings have changed back to default. Please fix this.

2. Nikola,

Hello,
I assume you are using the Web client?
Still, we probably need more information like what browser and operating system.

3. Marina,

I may add also that sadly your settings are server-related. I am not sure whether it works like that in the technical part. However, what I mean by server-related is that when you connect to the playroom from the non-secure server for example in the login screen, your settings are not imported and thus you have to set them again.
Fortunately though it gets saved later, so if you have used the secure and non-secure servers once and have already set your settings, it won't get reset again when you switch between these two.

4. Black-Samurai,

Hello. I am using a Google Chrome web browser and I don't really know if it is secure or not. But it is really annoying to have to always reset the settings!

5. Nikola,

Hello,
what Marina was talking about in regards to secure VS insecure connection applies only to the Windows client and choosing a server from the combo box. There, settings are saved locally, but separately for each available server, or at least most of them.
I just tried using Chrome on Windows. I have adjusted sound settings and configured it to load with muted sounds and notifications, then I tried adjusting the layout to desktop 2, as well as in channels and views configured global messages not to speak. After restarting the browser and loading the web client again, all the settings stayed in place as I have configured them.
Any particular options you are having trouble with?
You could also try clearing your cookies and cache for the Playroom website, then adjusting your settings again and see if that fixes the problem.
I do however wonder what the general options item on the web client does. With all the browsers I tried it with, it said the option isn't available with your browser.

Last edited by Nikola, Dec 7 2020 22:00:03

6. Aminiel,

Hello,

The problem of not saving settings can be due to private browsing. When you are browsing in private, nothing can be saved, that's basicly the principle of private browsing.

Be careful, your browser may be configured to always be in private mode. That's generally a very good thing, but incompatible with the ability to save some settings.

Don't be afraid for your private data, we don't store anything beyond what's absolutely needed and what you may define or write yourself.

For the last question of Nikola, funny, I forgot completely about it ! In fact it was supposed to offer options for a Elektron-based client 3, but the project has been aborted since and replaced by the upcoming WXWidgets-based client 3.

7. Nikola,

Thanks for the info. That's really curious, looking forward to the future V3.
That is also a great thought about private browsing, I thought about that too, but I wasn't aware of an option in Chrome to always open tabs in private browsing by default.
Also, could you take a look when you have some time at how the different priorities and speech reading work? The problem is that by default, using Chrome and NVDA you won't get any automatic reading on the web client. For example, try to log in to the web client and press W. On my system and various others I tested with, nothing is spoken.
To work around this, it's necessary to set all the channels to at least the high priority. Then the automatic reading works normally. Before the major update in 2018 I think, this wasn't an issue and reading was possible by default. I actually assume this is why the original poster wants to adjust settings all the time, since this is in fact necessary if you want to have a nice experience on the web client.
On the other hand, when using iOS with Safari, this doesn't seem to be necessary and the default settings allow automatic reading.
I have also noticed one minor thing regarding sounds: it seems that now, sounds with just the different pitch work also on the web, so for example sounds for wild are different to those of a draw 2 in Uno. This is great, but it seems that for some reason, in Uno wild and wild draw 4 have still the same sound, with the pitch used on the Windows client when you play a wild draw 4 for both of them.
And the last thing about the web client, there is still the issue of the inaccessible options menu when accessed during a game. Make sure you are on a table, and press F10. Instead of the options menu opening as normal, you get a menu with weird label names, optitem 0, and so on.
Despite all of that, thanks for your work. Even if sometimes buggy, the web client allows us to play from many different devices and it provides the best possible experience.

Last edited by Nikola, Dec 8 2020 21:40:57

7 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post