Jass variations and distinctions

3 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. Sevrior,

Is there a possibility that the various rules that are unique to jass by region could be added? I refer specifically to the usage of marriages, E.G, when one player has both the king and the queen of the trump in their hand, and the meld, another variation rule.
This would add variety to the game and would bring it on par with scopa and other popular games on the server. Unfortunately, jass seems to be one of the least frequented games, so perhaps this would stimulate some interest.

Thank you.

2. Aminiel,

Hello,

I know the first one, but not the second one. Can you explain what the meld is ?

In fact, the mariage is often used with announces, i.e. you get bonus points if you have a straight of 3, 4 or 5 cards (resp. 20, 50, 100 points), or if you have the four kings, aces, nines or jacks (resp. 75, 100, 150 and 200 points). However, in the original game, you get those points only if you tell others that you have these cards when playing the first trick (if you notice later in the round, you can't get the bonuses). I'm not for making that automatic because it would break a little the charm of the game, in the sens that you must be quick and smart enough to notice you really have one of these combinations when playing at a IRL table. ADding a key for that isn't a solution, because people will press it everytime anyway, and giving a malus in case you press the key without having anything isn't fair.

3. Sevrior,

You already specified a meld. The marriage is the king and queen of trumps in the same hand, declared after melds. Melds are the sequences, or the 4 figure cards. As for making it possible to call them, I would say that the easiest method is to add a penalty for pressing the specified key when there is no meld or marriage in your hand. This would stagger the amount of times that a player could spam the key to announce a meld or marriage, and would thus prevent it from being simply a race of key pressing. A point penalty could be added within reason I would think.

Last edited by Sevrior, Dec 20 2012 23:45:38

3 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post