a question about reversi

10 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. cascada8 ,

hy, i today tryed to play with a bot in reversi and cliend said that i can't play with a bot using web client why is that?Does reversi bots have to do something special?

2. Aminiel,

No, you simply can't play when using the web client. You must use the windows client to play reversi with a bot. This is also the case for connect4.

3. MuhammadHajjar,

But what is the technical reason of this if you don't mind.

4. Exink,

I think this is because it would be harder to represent such game in the playroom, or for example it could use a lot of space in the screen of this devices, in android for example; or because the navigation would be endless due to the large number of squares in the grid. Regards.

5. Aminiel,

No. You can perfectly play C4 and Reversi with two people on the web client. Since a few weeks, you even have the grid graphics approximately like on the windows client.

You can't play with a bot on the web client because the moves are in fact computed by the windows client. It is so because :

• C4 and Reversi are a lot less power-intensive than chess, but they are still to much for the server considering that multiple people may play different games at the same time.
  • Algorithms haven't been ported in JavaScript for use on the web client because JavaScript is extremely slow compared to C++ (perhaps 100 times to 1). A single move in moderate difficulty level would take a few minutes to compute, compared to a few seconds on the windows client.

6. Exink,

Ah, so interesting; in fact I thought all the work was computed in the server, and the client only receives and sends the data to and from the user.

7. LaraStardust,

hey aminiel, what about having an offline mode of the pr, which allows you to run the client in offline mode, where you dont connect to the internet?

8. Aminiel,

hey aminiel, what about having an offline mode of the pr, which allows you to run the client in offline mode, where you dont connect to the internet?

No. C4 and Reversi are exceptions. In all other games, bots are played by the server and wouldn't be available offline.

9. LaraStardust,

nodnod. Shrug, just consider it an option, I think it'd rope in more players in the fact give people who cant be online a lot a chance to enjoy this awesome client. You could make like a menu at the logon, or even a checkbox... shrug

10. Exink,

Anyway the interaction among users could get lost, so it's better to have the online version I guess.

10 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post

Lost password ? Create account