1000 miles suggestions

1 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. fastfinge,

Hi:

These are some suggestions for the game of 1000 miles in the playroom. I don't want to offend, so please don't take my suggestions as rude. I know English is not your first language.

I play this game quite regularly in my home country of Canada, and these suggestions are all from my experience of playing the game around the table with my friends and family, sometimes for money.

First off, in English, this game is Actually called Milestones. If you buy a deck of these cards in a store, that is what it will most likely be called. Though I have also heard it called "touring" or "Mille Bornes". The only places I have ever heard it called 1000 miles are on the blind games websites.

Second, the "wheel of replacement" card in English is called the "spare tire" card. Also, the "unflattenable" card in English is called "puncture-proof". We usually call the "steering ace" card the "driving ace", though I have heard the steering ace name sometimes. We call the "priority vehicle" card "right of way". I have never heard of a "cons-sense" card, but I think maybe it means something like "detour"? For some strange reason, the "green light" card in English we call "roll", and the "red light" card we call "stop". I know, that makes no sense; a lot of things in English don't. The "gas tank" card we actually call "extra tank", maybe because it would be funny to think of a car without a gas tank in the first place. The "repairations" card we call "repairs".

In all of the games I have ever played, when we play a dirty trick, we call it a "Coup Fourré", just as in the French game. Though I know we all mispronounce it terribly (What we say sounds something close to coop furry"). One of the printed copies of the rules I have says that this can be translated as "counter strike", though another version of the rules says it means "foul play". I don't speak any French myself, so I assume as a native French speaker your translation of "dirty trick" is the correct one, and my rules are wrong. Though I think "counter strike" would be much more fun to shout at people.

Next, I would really love it if you would make the bots smarter, especially in team play. First, the bot should always wait for 5 seconds before playing, if a hazard has been played on his team. For example, if out of gas is played on my team, and the other player on my team is a bot, he plays right away. This means that even though I have the gas tank card in my hand, I can't do a dirty trick! It's extremely frustrating. Also, I think the following changes in strategy would make the bots much better players:

1. A bot should never play a 200 point card, unless his team is at least 500 points behind. When he is discarding, if his team is less than 500 points behind, he should always discard the 200 point card first.
  2. A bot should always hold on to his special cards, in case he can do a dirty trick, unless the other team has at least 800 points. If the other team has 800 points or more, he should play all of those special cards right away.

Another thing is, in the case where the deck is not shuffled, if nobody has any playable cards in there hands, the round should end right away, instead of forcing everyone to discard cards one by one.

When playing a 2 player game, and the deck will not be reshuffled, some hazard cards should be removed. Generally, 1 of each kind of hazard is removed. Because without a partner, it's hard to have all of the cards you might need to respond. If you play a 2 player game and don't reshuffle right now, it's hardly possible to get any points.

Lastly, in the milestones game I am familiar with, each hand goes to 700 points. The player who achieves the score of 700 points gets the option to call for an extension. If he decides not to call for an extension, the hand is over, and his team gets the trip completion bonus, just like normal. If he calls for an extension, then the hand goes to a thousand points. Whoever achieves the thousand point score gets the trip completion bonus, plus another 200 point extension bonus. The player who called for the extension isn't always on the team that reaches the thousand points, of course. So sometimes this can backfire. Also, as we never reshuffle the deck, and I had never even heard of that rule until I started playing online, the extension rule makes it really important to remember what cards have been discarded. I would really love it if this rule was added, as it would make your game almost exactly like the official game I know.

Score: +0

1 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post