DOUBLEING THE STACK IN BACKGAMMON

6 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. YNWA,

I have had issues with doubleing the stack in Backgammon for quite some time but Cristina/Adventure's tournament has braught into focus those Issues. At present the table master doesn't have the option to decide whether you want the option of doubleing the stack or not at the start of the game. This is not good when hosting a Backgammon tournament as someone could double the stack by accident or on purpose. You don't even get a reminder question saying are you sure that you want to double the stack. Your oponent can't refuse it as they would lose the round.

The other issue is that people are able to double the stack towards the end of the round when they have a fairly good idea of the outcome of the game. It states in the rules that it would not be allowed for a 7 point game but it does happen in a 2 or 3 point game. It is like betting on a 100 M race when 90 metres have already been run!

2. Exink,

I don't think this should be a settable option but a game strategy, because it allows to win more points, and if the person the stack is doubled to decides not to accept it, it's fair that he/she lose the round. Moreover, I agree when you say it's not good that someone can double it when having a good game, but the solution is to increase the score target in the tournament, so the round can hold more time even if someone decides to use this option although to my liking this is not quite usual to happen. Best regards.

3. Cristina ,

Hello!
We could ask the participants if they want or not to be allowed to double the stack.
I think that few of them would not want, although personaly, I don't like so much this option, because it's not challenging at all for me, to double the stack when a player is sure that he will win the round.
But it's part of the game and the strategy.
maybe we will increase the target of the score, saying who will win 3 rounds of 5 will be considered the winner of that match.
This would be just after the first round, because the target of it would be 3 points, then the rule mentioned above for quarter final, semifinal and maybe for final too.
Regards, Cristina

4. YNWA,

You do have the option to choose muggins or not in cribbage and i think most of us use it but it is nice to have the option there. I think it would be the same for doubleing the stack because you would not want to lose it altogether because as people have stated it does add to the stratagy of the game.

In terms of the tournament you can state that points will remain the same even if people double the stack by accident or not. So if you win by a Gammon then you would get 2 points for it. If you happen to go over the suggested points limit for the game then you could start the game again for the remaining points or so. That of course will be up to the organisers to decide on what they want to do.

5. each-and-everythinh ,

hello , i agree that an option to allow or disallow doubling of the stack would be really nice.

6. YNWA,

"Given that one can't refuse a doubling request made by the opponent, you aren't allowed to request it in any situation. For example in a game in 7 points, if your opponent is winning 6-5, you aren't allowed to request a doubling. Normally, in this situation, you would need a gammon, or two simple wins, in order to win the whole game. Doubling would remove that obligation and would allow you to win the game in a single simple win. Otherwise said, this would superficially remove the advantage your opponent had against you in the score.
More generally, as soon as doubling would allow to win immediately the game or remove such score advantages, it isn't allowed."

If your game is set to 2 or 3 points people can double the stack. Equally if you have a clear advantage you can double the stack so I don't see where those said rules apply.

6 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post