how about making client selfvoicing?

6 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. hamster,

Hello,
I'm vojta from linux world. I like this client very much, because it offers lots of funny games, currently more games than rsgames. But I have to switch to windows whenever I want to play.
What about making client either able to run on linux or at least selfvoicing. It may be possible to run it under wine, I'll happilly help you to test it. But now I have to use screenreader to play and there isn't any screenreader, that can run under wine. However, sapi works.
Think about it, please.
Thank you,
Vojta

2. Aminiel,

Hello,

The portability outside windows has been multiple times mentionned.

I'm of course not closed to provide a linux, mac or whatever other OS you can think of. However, I have a couple of problems :

1. I have just my own computer running on windows 7 32 bits. I'm therefore unable to test my software on other systems unless if I ask somebody else. In particular, I have no 64 bit windows, no mac, no iPhone, no iPad, and I'm not going to buy one soon. For linux, I have a vinux 3.0 VM somewhere.
  2. Even if I would have a machine running the right system, I have no experience programming C/C++ GUI applications outside of windows. In particular, I don't know GTK, QT or cocoa
  3. What's more, I haven't much time right now to develop the playroom. My studies take me very much time at the moment. I'm really busy.

If I haven't chosen java from the beginning for the client, java being multiplateform and allmost accessible (at least under windows), that's because :

1. Java is not always easy to install for unexperienced computer users
  2. There's no way to access screen readers APIs in java without passing through complicated and unstable native layers

Now, if somebody want to start the development of a client for linux, mac or whatever else, I could give and explain him the network protocol used and help him as far as I can. As explained above, I'm unable to do it myself, so I actually need to rely on somebody else. I already explained my problem multiple times and nobody come, so the situation is blocked.

IF you have a good idea that could make the situation evolve, I could certainly take your suggestions. But as you see, the problem isn't simple.

3. hamster,

Okay, I understand, that writing multiplatform applications isn't and easy job. But how about at least making client self voicing? for example klango is able to run under vinux, with some limitations, but selfvoicing isn't among them.

4. Aminiel,

What do you mean exactly by self voicing ?
SAPI5 can be used if no screen reader is detected.

5. hamster,

I see. Is it ctrl-F6? So if there isn't any speech and I log in, press ctrl-F6, sapi should kick in automatically?

6. Aminiel,

Normally you just have to press Ctrl+F6 to start SAPI, but you can only after having logged-in.

6 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post