Duck racing: A few comments about the new features

13 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. Nikola,

Hello,
first of all, thank you very much for the new board as well as the new duels. It's great and makes the game even more enjoyable. Here are some comments, suggestions and issues I observed:

1. If you play a card that gives 1 negative card to your opponent but you have no negative cards in your hand, the game incorrectly tells you that you still gave 1 card.
  2. Example:
    Orange duck uses a card Poisonned present on Nikola.
    Orange duck gives you 1 cards.
    Here, the bot did not give me anything because he did not have a negative card. So the game should say Orange duck gives you 0 cards, just like it does when you for example try to steal a card but the other person has no cards.
  3. Die bonuses:
  4. Sometimes, when a droppable card activates giving you a die bonus, this isn't correctly announced.
    Example:
    You throw the die: 1
    You advance 1 squares.
    Square #18: Entertainment room
    A good moment of release in joy and happyness.
    Everyone pass his hand to his neighbor.
    You get 2 feathers.
    A card Wet paint dropped by Orange duck is on this square.
    diebonus4
    As you know, the wet paint card gives you a die malus of minus 1, while the game says diebonus4, so you have to manually check with the C key.
  5. Speed based duels:
  6. First of all, thank you for implementing this idea. I talked about it earlier and I am very glad to see it and that it works very well.
    However, would it be possible to play a different sound for a speed duel, which isn't the same as the ordinary duel? The reason for this is that, especially on the new board sometimes multiple events happen at once very quickly, and even with the waiting time your screen reader often does not catch up fast enough. So this way, when you hear a different sound you would know it is a speed based duel and you can quickly read the task by pressing Ctrl plus page down, for example.
    I am not sure what would be the most appropriate sound, however.
    Also, the speed duels are completely unplayable from a phone. Well, even if somehow you added an edit box on the web, I am not sure you can effectively play this on a touch screen, so this is probably not a priority.
    While typing a number, it seems like it is impossible to use Backspace to delete if you made a mistake, though I haven't tried delete or escape, maybe this works.
    It could also be a good idea to allow hearing the task again by simply pressing T, the same way it says Nikola and X meet in math duel.
  7. It seems like the card challenge lost it's description. When you press D on the challenge card, it just says:
  8. challenge-1.
    Playable against another player.
    Previously, it would correctly say "challenge another player.".

That's it from me, for now.

2. Fawaz,

Hi,
strongly agree about the different sound for speed and math challenge. or at least for speed and guessing challenge.
one more thing i've noticed although it is luck and random but sometimes jumping from 19 to 28 in the new board is happening :D
sometimes it is just like you can't do anything about it especially that the board is only 28 squares, I think that is just too much.
and not sure about this orange juice card I think it gives bonus but only playable against others.
thanks once more for this wonderful new stuff.
good luck.

Last edited by Fawaz, Oct 5 2020 09:25:02

3. Coastergirl92,

The math and speed challenges are all not playable on the Mac as well

4. Rory101,

how about a higher pitch bell for speed challenges?

5. Marina,

How is it in the mac now?
What happens when you write the numbers while in the game toolbar?
Note that there is no box supposed to pop out or something, you just write the numbers directly, and also try disabling quicknav if it interferes.

6. Nikola,

Well, since today's reboot, we now get a short sound in addition to the standard bell with speed based duels. Thanks for that.

7. Lemonade,

I agree with all the suggestions, and it's nice to see one of them has already been implemented.

As to the orange juice, there are definitely more cards like that, positive cards which can only be played on your opponent, and negative cards which can only be played on yourself. I think the objective of the new board seems to be to make sure you have positive cards in your hand and giving the negative ones to your opponent, so that the force to play a card squares hinder them and benefit you. Also, keep in mind you don't seem to have to pay any feathers if you're forced to play a card, so you can potentially use that to your advantage if you have something like a silver die. But frankly, I've never found lack of feathers to be too much of a problem on this board.

Unfortunately, the problem I'm having with this board is that it's currently so unreliable that there is no real strategy involved. Even the best laid out plan can come back and bite you really, really hard. I know this can happen on the old board as well, but not nearly as often as it does here. Most of the time, you either have to choose between keeping your entire hand, or giving your entire hand away. There are a few poisoned present cards, but not nearly enough of them. And even if there were, hand switching would still turn things around a full 180 degrees. It would be cool if the entertainment square would have every player exchange only one card, rather than their entire hand.
Also, all those percentage-based squares are a pretty good way to reduce strategy as well.

I guess it boils down to whether this board is just made for random non-serious fun times. That's sort of what happened last time we had an anniversary with fishing aces, so I'm not counting out the possibility. If this is the same, then it serves its purpose perfectly fine, because you never know what's going to happen. But right now, I'm not inclined to choose this one for a tournament, even if some of the concepts are legitimately cool.

8. Fawaz,

yes in this board i prefer to play booster and such cards on my self, moving players sort of useless and hands moving so frequently or forcing me play it on my self already Haha.
Also as i mentioned jumping from 19 to 28 just huge.
and yeah most squares have probable skip or other stuff, nothing certain.
it is fun and everything but way less strategy.

9. Nikola,

Hi,
you don't move from 19 to 28 though, at least not consistently. That's a coincidence.
19 is trampoline, and it can make you advance from 1 to 5 squares. So, if it makes you advance by 3 squares, then you land on 22, which has a 50 percent chance of making you advance by 6 squares, thus going to 28. Perhaps that percent should be a little lower though.
It's obvious that this board is meant to be more random though, with so many squares based on percentages. I agree about the square 18, there's too much mixing of cards especially with 4 or more players.

10. Coastergirl92,

I can’t enter the number it does not work entering the numbers on the Mac, I tried it

11. Fawaz,

not often such move happens but the other day for instance I had a roll took me from 12 to 28 Haha.
I rolled 8 from 12.
the thing is the board is only 28 so basically if such jemps taking to the end of the board is not so cool if happening to someone else other than myself.

12. Aminiel,

Hello,

I can't reproduce your first problem. For all the others, it should be mostly fixed now.

ABout speed duels on the web client, in principle it works. I just checked on iOS 14 on my iPhone8 with an external keyboard and I'm perfectly able to enter the answer. The trick is to disable quick navigation. You can leave it disabled all the time in fact.

Of course in reality, you have almost no chance to catch up those who play on the windows client. Sadly, for this, I have no solution.

I don't have a solution either if you exclusively rely on touch, i.e. don't use an external keyboard. Doing it on chat or in a dedicated text field would remove a lot of spontaneouity, pressure, speed sensation, whatever you can call it.

13. mehdi-t,

hello all. i want to give a suggestion about the new board in duck raceing. as you know, the squears number 2, 7 and 9 doesn't have any speatial effect. but my suggestion is that please, add a discription for them. for example squeare number 13 doesn't have any speatial effect. but it has a discription. again, thanks a lot. really, thank you.

13 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post