Draughts / checkers

9 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. SheWolf,

I would like to ask, whether it would be possible to add game called checkers or Draughts. It is very known game plaied on the chess board with the small pieces. I'll post the rules and all about the game here, cause you know, my english. smiles. Well I think this game is simpler than chess and it's possible to play it against the computer, thus no needed two players.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_draughts

2. sodanisavit01 ,

yes, why not, we are ready to add and lear new things

3. Aminiel,

Hello,

It's perfectly doable. However, I'm not sure that it's really relevant:

1. IN general, strategy games aren't much played on the playroom
  2. As far as I know, checkers is quite less popular than chess
  3. The game is simpler, yes, but it's probably still to complicated to have bots that don't play too stupidly. I don't know exactly. It's also probably harder to find free AI due to the lesser popularity.
  4. Note that there are two versions of checkers: 8x8 (English) and 10x10 (international).

I imagine that it would be the same for nine men's morris, except that bots are maybe possible for that later.

4. Adventure-Time,

While I get the point of strategy games not being quite popular on here, and everywhere in general, imho this doesn'T make those games less of a value. I understand the creating process takes a lot of time and work (that relates to most of the games anyway), and that putting free time and efford into creating a game which is then rarely played is discouraging. But having strategy games here is one of the many reasons why I enjoy this place so much, and I'm certainly not the only one. I highly appreciate the possibility of playing games on the web which I rarely get the opportunity to play live, and the more complex games are among those. It is special and very appreciated.
Frankly I'Ve never played checkers and I'm still being a chess joke, but as checkers are considered easier... Well, why not. :D

5. Exink,

Hello, I also would love to see one version of this game in here since I never have played even the real version, this way we can learn something different.

I also support this proposal in spite of the reasons explained above.

Thanks!

6. SheWolf,

Well hello, Thanks for the responses. I know that it is maybe long and difficult process to make it, but honestly as Adventure time said, many of us are coming to this platform mainly cause of strategy games. Am not good in chess, but checkers is something different, I like it so much and it is really simpler than chess. No need to learn specific moves like in the chess, you haven't there any knights or bishops, nothing like that. It would be nice relax for many of us if we would have the possibility to play it. But, as was here mentioned, it is up to you, your time, etc etc. smiley.

7. Destranis,

I agree with Adventure-Time. The things I love to play here are mostly strategy games, it's always great to a have a few rounds of spades, rummy, hearts, bouillabaisse, etc etc, or a game of chess. So IMHO a new strategy game is always great :)

8. YNWA,

For some reason when I was a kid I was not as keen on drafts as I was on chess. It is easier to play as the drafts pieces move the same thus making it easier to learn how to play. I didn't know about the 10 by 10 boards. I think the main reason we in the UK used 8 by 8 boards was because you could use a chess board for chess/drafts and some sighted boards even had backgammon markings on the back allowing you to used the same pieces for gammon/drafts.

Last edited by YNWA, Feb 6 2021 16:33:36

9. SheWolf,

Same here, we in slovakia also are playing on the chess board. I also never plaied that different form, but it would be interesting to try it anyway! smiles

9 messages, 1 pages: 1  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post