Suggestion of game Mensch ärgere Dich nicht

10 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

1. Emrah20,

Hello.
Game Mensch ärgere Dich nicht is popular in central Europe by various names. People in Czech republic and Slovakia knows this game very well. It'll be good idea to add this game. Maybe lot of german people know this game.
Here is link with informations about this game and rules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch_%C3%A4rgere_Dich_nicht
Please, could You add this game to playroom?
Thank You.
Marco

2. Aminiel,

Hello,

This game as well as several other variants that are quite similar, like ludo (anglo-saxon), marchisi (US and India), jeu des petits chevaux (France), have already been proposed multiple times. All are based on the same gameplay, and so would probably be grouped in one single game with rule options if ever done.

At present, it's already on a list of potentially interesting games that are perfectly implementable. Maybe I'll do it one day, or not. I don't know. Remember that I'm alone to develop the playroom, that I have a full time job, and that such lists are getting huge year after year.

So, don't expect it to appear soon, but maybe one day you will ahve a great surprise. Who knows!

3. YNWA,

I do like Ludo and have played it for years on and off. The secret of Ludo is to create barrels (2 to 4 of your tokens on the same square) to stop your opponents from either passing you or taking your token. It is for the other players to stop you making those barrels by taking your tokens. Sometimes there can be a build-up of tokens behind you so if your double barrel breaks because your third token reaches home or has been taken it could leave your tokens in danger. Sometimes if you build a barrel on a home square it stops one of your opponents from leaving home.

Congratulations on getting your job and the best of luck with that.

Last edited by YNWA, Jun 9 2021 00:25:30

4. Nikola,

Hello,
this game is quite popular here too, and I would definitely like to see it on the Playroom.
That being said, of course I understand that you don't always have time for new games or features in general, especially now with the V3 development I imagine it's a priority.

As Ynwa said, best of luck to you, and if the game ever does come out I'm sure just like all the others, it will be a great addition!

5. Vojvoda,

This game is awesome to play with friends in the reality, I also wanted to try this online but I am not sure how much fun would this be with standard rules.
We would just roll the dice and move pieces without any dinamics. Kinda too monotonous for an online game. For example in backgammon you must think how to protect your other pieces, decide whether you will focus on occupying all 6 squares or try to get all pieces on the last square, while here the only decisions you will have to bring is whether to move one or another piece forward, and will you keep playing if you roll 6 or enter one more piece on the board.

6. YNWA,

Not quite (read my first post) In Ludo you have barrels that means if you have 2 tokens on top of each other no player can go past your tokens or take your tokens. In backgammon if you have two or more tokens on the same square your opponent cannot take them but can jump over them. So if in the previous turn you had a token taken by your opponent, you have to get them back on the board. If you have 2 opponent tokens on squares 1 and 3 you would need to roll a 2, 4, 5, 6. in order to play. But In Ludo if you have a barrel of an opponent(s) on squares 1 and 3 and have 4 of your tokens (4 is the maximum number of tokens) you first have to roll a 6 to get out, in Ludo your square 1 is start square meaning you can't play while there is an opponent's barrel stuck on your home square. If the barrel was on square 2 you could roll a 6 to go out but not be able to play as you would be stuck behind your opponent. Without a further 6 you leave your token on its own, it would be vulnerable and could be taken by another opponent just like it would be in gammon.

We know Aminiel does things to games that is not in the standard version of the board. I am wondering what it would be like if it was made a 6 player game and the extra squares would be added. Would it be possible to make it a team game where you had 3 teams of 2 so teams could work together to form barrels. Not sure how it would play out in reallity but would be interesting. Aminiel as enough with v3 but still interesting to debate.

I do have this game although the RNIB don't stock it now unless it has just come back. The first Ludo game I had was Giant Ludo and the tokens would have been big enough to place over the top of a cup so you can imagine the size of the Ludo board which was a big plastic sheet.

7. Aminiel,

Hello,

In fact one of the problem of the game is that the gameplay is very similar, but here are still quite a lot of variants I know of.

• The number of squares for each quarter and for the ending row isn't very clear and different for each version
  • IN some versions, you have to roll a 5 to get out of home, while in others you must roll a 6
  • Some versions use two dice, but it seems that some others only use a single die
  • Some versions allow to create barrages by putting two of your tokens on the same square, preventing anyone else to go through; others allow several tokens of the same color on the same square but it doesn't do anything special
  • Some versions allow to create a barrage of more than two tokens, while other forbid having more than two tokens on the same square
  • Are you allowed to go through your own barrages ? IN some versions not
  • You may be allowed to move two tokens together if you make a double, and by doing so you may be allowed to send the two pieces of an enemy barrage back home at once (hance the utility to make a barrage of three tokens)
  • IN some versions, there were safe squares, in which you can't be sent back home, but some other versions don't have such squares. It may be allowed or not to have more than two tokens in these squares.
  • While being in the ending row, you may need to make the exact roll to go out

As far as I remember when I was young, the rules I used at that time were as follows for me:

• Two dice are used
  • Barrages of two tokens only are allowed, and they block everybody including yourself
  • Safe squares are every 5, i.e. squares 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.
  • Each quarter had three safe squares, hance 15 squares, so 60 squares in total plus 15 squares in the ending row
  • You go out of home by rolling a 5, you can do it twice if you roll 5-5, and when you go out of home your token is put at square 5 (which is a safe square)
  • You can roll again if you made double
  • You must put your most advanced token that isn't part of a barrage back home if you roll double three times in a row (this one is borrowed from Monopoly, I guess, and it isn't standard)
  • You don't need to make an exact count to go out

I have never seem any, but it seems that there indeed exist physical hexagonal boards for 6 players, according to wikipedia.
Technically it wouldn't be a problem, even for 8 players if you like.
I have never played in teams, but why not.

IN fact, the most potentially interesting changes I see are when adding more dice and/or more tokens, not more players.
Imagine, you have 8 tokens instead of 4, or 3 or 4 dice instead of 2. I think it could lead to more strategy and less randomness, as well as slightly less frustration when one of your near-to-finish tokens are sent back home.
IN this case, the board should probably be a little shorter so to don't make the game too long.

8. YNWA,

I will try my best to describe the board I have that I purchased from the RNIb to my knowledge this game is not in production for now. This board is about 15 years old I think.

You have four colours:

Bottom left Blue
Top left Red
Top right Green
bottom right yellow

and they follow in a loop.

there is a big square for each colour and in that colour is 4 tokens and they make up a smaller square.

In between those squares is 3 lines of holes and each hole represents a square. The shape is a big cross where all tokens meet at the end of the game. the Object of the game as you know is to get all 4 of your tokens home first. The outer lines of holes are where the tokens race round the board. The middle line is for home squares, each colour has 6 home squares each. All home squares are the same colour as its token, blue squares are for blue and are blue etc. If a token is on those home squares they cannot be taken.

Now I will take you round the board starting at the blue start square. I will try to do it like Duck racing boards: (All squares are white unless stated.

Please note forward means you are going up the board. My explanation is from the Blue player point of view so it would be different from Red, Green, Yellow.

You do need a 6 to start.

Square 1 Blue start Square (Blue) - (you are near the bottom of the board so move forward)
Square 2 Move forward
Square 3 Move forward
Square 4 Move forward
Square 5 Move forward, starts to turn left
Square 6 Move forward, starts to turn left further
Square 7 Move Left
Square 8 Move Left
square 9 Move Left
square 10 Move Left
square 11 Move Forward (You are furthest left of the board)
Square 12 Move forward if Blue, Green or Yellow - (Red moves right where the Red Home squares 1 to 6 are). (the home squares are coloured red).
Square 13 Move right
Square 14 Move right, Red start Square (Red)
Square 15 Move right
square 16 Move right
Square 17 Move right
square 18 Move right, starts to turn forward
Square 19 Forward, starts to turn forward further
Square 20 Move forward
Square 21 Move forward
square 22 Move forward
Square 23 Move forward
Square 24 Move right, you are at the top of the board.
Square 25 Move right if Blue, Red or Yellow - (Green moves down to where the Green Home squares 1 to 6 are). (the home squares are coloured Green).
Square 26 Move down, furthest right on top of the board
Square 27 Move down, Green start Square (Green)
Square 28 Move down
Square 29 Move down
Square 30 Move down
Square 31 Move down, starts to turn Right
Square 32 Move right, starts to turn right further
Square 33 Move right
Square 34 Move Right
Square 35 Move right
Square 36 Move right
Square 37 move down, (You are furthest right of the board)
Square 38 Move down if Blue, Red or Green - (Yellow moves left to where the yellow Home squares 1 to 6 are). (the home squares are coloured Yellow).
Square 39 Move left
Square 40 Move left, Yellow start Square (Yellow)
Square 41 Move left
Square 42 Move left
Square 43 Move left
Square 44 Move left, starts to go down
Square 45 Move down, starts to go down further.
Square 46 Move down
Square 47 Move down
Square 48 Move down
Square 49 Move down
Square 50 Move left, you are at the bottom of the board
Square 51 Move left if Red, Green or Yellow - (Blue moves Forward to where the Blue Home squares 1 to 6 are). (the home squares are coloured Blue).
Square 52 Move forward to Square 1 Blue start Square (Blue)

Hope this is helpful enough, I did see some of the options you suggested but will have to take a proper look another time. This is not perfect in terms of typing consistency but the squares are correct.

9. marmarmar,

Hello.
I recognize the game you're talking about.
I have a different board at home.
The main playing field consists of only 40 squares.
By the main playing field I mean the squares that are not the home squares and base squares for any color.
Each color has 4 pieces.
There are no safe zones or anything of that nature.
If you have no pieces in play, meaning you have some pieces in your base and all the remaining ones are as deep as possible in your home squares, you can roll three times per turn untill you get a 1 or a 6 to take a piece from the base.
When you roll a 1 or a 6, you can always take a piece from your base provided none of your pieces is at your start square.
Be aware though that a 6 allows you to roll again only if you move a piece forward.

10. YNWA,

In Ludo you have 1 dice but would need 2 die if the board was extended. Remember games such as Monopoly are played faster here than real life. It looks like the 3 6s rule is now included in Ludo but I don't remember that bit. I personally would include a rule where if you role a double you can take 2 tokens on the same square if the board was extended to 6 players.

10 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post

Lost password ? Create account