new game ideas

94 messages, 4 pages:  12 3 4 ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

31. Ellinder,

Hi, I've just noticed a spades game on the playroom. Did you know you can play spades as a solo game, meaning you have four players and each player can bid on how many tricks they think they can make? Also when playing partner spades, as I understand it each member of the team can bid on how many tricks one can make and if one player doesn't have anything he or she can bid nil, meaning they don't have anything. In this case, if I were bidding nil, I'd ask my partner if he/she can cover for me. You are penalized if you undertrick, if you don't make nil, and you collect sandbags, so overtricking is pretty easy to do if you don't know how to bid. Do you know when the rules will be available. Also think it would be interesting if you had contract bridge, euchre, or a non-trick-taking game such as canasta which is a variation of rummy requiring you to use more than two decks. Regards, Ellinder.

32. Aminiel,

Hello,

You can play solo spades with 3, 5 or 6 players, and rules are available, press Ctrl+F1 when on a spades table, or read them now.

To be honnest, I have already read about euchre and don't understand much the rules... and for bridge, of course, it's worse. So, certainly not before a very long time, unless someone can explain me very well.

33. SamuelR,

LUdo? which means the chineese checker? i'm very interested of the board game non as the chinese checker. which is played usually between 4 players. roling the dyce, and then moving on the board, and then go inside the garage. Here i've seen different rules but i dont know which rule is right. but i'm sure a fixed rule exhists. I like board games and uno reversee and connect 4 it gives time for a person to think and play well. So i feel such games would improve a persons strategies. I'm thankful for such games they particularly help me. i'm trying to play recently reversee and connect4 and try to make better strategies to win the game. so i know there are a few players only interested but, still simple games first, and may be then the tougher games. but adding only the tougher games at the end wouldn't look nice either. i mean
1 tough game, and then 3/4 easy game. it would perhaps be mixed up, so games for everybody. just a thought.

34. whozitken,

Hi thanks you also answer an earlier question in this thread about hangman, while reading it was thinking of the TV show wheel of fortune which is basicly a hangman game but think you'd run into the dictionary issue. I know on the similar site to this RS games on the game apples to apples I have run into language issues. for example some card on it are clearly americanizations. one is something like "rush limbaugh, american talk show host. or american slang a word like snappy actually tripped up a player. the dictionary issue may not be a problem with lingo. basicly the five letter word you gues are picked by the computer randumly. basicly it goes like this at least the american version of the show. you are shown the first letter of a five leter word and you and a teammate although you could play it one on one have five guesses at the word. each wrong guess the computer will show you which letters are right and which are out of place. if you get the word in five letters you draw three numbers and the idea is to get lingo just like bingo is played. the game plays on the show at as two rounds in the first you it's 25 points a word and 50 for a lingo. doubled for round 2. this can be eliminated by setting a score limit. to make the game go faster each time a player gets a lingo he or she gets a new board. at the start of each board 10 numbers are marked off. if you wanted to work the bonus round in to it you could maybe have a player play that when he gets a certain numbers of lingos and they can play that round for more points. in the bonus round a player has 2 minutes to guess as many five letter words as possible and for each one he gets he gets to draw one number to complete the bonus card. I think the show was inported from england and adapted over here in the states. the american version ran on our game show channel GSN. also a thought on the game stratigo. would that be the gridd issue discussed again? if so I don't think OCR would work very well it needs to be worked on a little bit and since I use NVDA for most of an online session I haven't gotten the OCR extention for it yet. I know I have had problems using it setting up last fm.

35. Sektor ,

Hi Aminiel,

Here's the rule for Phase10.
http://www.natlassoc.org/fun/games/phase10/phase10r.htm

36. Giovani ,

Hi! I have a new game idea. What do You say to game Draught?

I think, It will be very great to play in Gameroom. Thanks, Marco Oros.

37. stevious,

may I suggest garbage, a fun and addicting card game? Rules and how to play: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5143509_trash-card-game-rules.html

38. Sevrior,

Hello Aminiel:

I remember discussing strategy games with you earlier on this thread, and have been thinking about it. It seems to me it is more difficult than is easily achievable to scan in all of the cards for the common strategy card games like Magic, not to mention expensive. Similarly, it's a lot of mechanics to implement. So, I was thinking rather of combat or strategy card games that have been developed or adapted for the traditional 52 card deck or the uno deck. These would require no new cards to be scanned, and only the mechanics to be implemented, while still allowing for strategy based games to be added to the playroom for those of us who enjoy such.
Here are three options I was thinking of. The first game requires a deck of uno cards, one requires a standard tarot deck which is easy enough to find and standard for much of Europe, and the other requires a standard poker deck. The rules are fairly comprehensive.

http://www.pagat.com/invented/unoys.html

http://www.pagat.com/invented/wizard_duel.html

http://www.pagat.com/invented/wizards_grimoire.html

I would be interested to hear your comments regarding implementing such games.

Sevrior

Last edited by Sevrior, Aug 31 2013 10:24:28

39. Aminiel,

@Sevrior: it's probably much more reasonnable to dig into that direction rather than tryhing to implement a game like magic. The biggest problem isn't even the game mechanic, but the incredibly rich set of cards available.

However, the games you suggest are coming from the invented section. It means that they aren't well known, not much played, rules not necessarily clearly stated, and perhaps not as acomplished as well established ones. There are also dozends to choose from, each with pros and cons, what makes it tricky to go for a good one. IN any case, making such a game will require a lot of balancing and testing before being fully playable.

Anyway, it gives a good overview of what could be done with regular card decks. I didn't know that it was even possible, and that it could propose some quite interesting concepts. I will try to, if I can, imagine a game of that kind. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Last edited by Aminiel, Aug 31 2013 21:52:46

40. agasoft,

Hello Aminiel, I noticed that you are replying to all, except to my suggested game at number 18. :)
Thanks

41. Aminiel,

Hello Aminiel, I noticed that you are replying to all, except to my suggested game at number 18. :)

Sorry, it has passed through ! Interesting idea, but it's probably too similar to already other known games to be added now. I keep it in reserve though.

42. agasoft,

Yes, I agree. But its also multiplayer game for 2 or 4 players. more then 30 players will be thankfull for it if it happen in coming months. :)
Finally, happy birthday to playroom.
My offer for translation is still active.

43. Ranma,

Hie!
I second the suggestions of hearts and cribidge, both very fun games. But no one here has mentioned crazy 8s yet. Ranma thinks it would be very cool to have that game available as an alternative to Uno.

Smiles

Last edited by Ranma, Sep 12 2013 21:45:12

44. whozitken,

Hi yeah I played crazy eights years ago with braille cards. hey got a question relating to that and french Tarrot. think I finally have the knack on that game after playing with bots both solo and as teams. but if a user has a braille display how it the Knight card indicated and how is the fool indicated. that is a very challenging game and it was new to me.

45. Ellinder,

Euchre

46. jage,

Would love Euchre, but it's a very regional game. Cribbage may be the next best bet.

47. Ranma,

Has anyone mentioned backgammon yet? Ranma thinks it would be a great addition to the playroom's lineup of games! It's been a very long time since a new board game was introduced here; would be very nice to see that as the next one to come. Not such a steep learning curve as chess but still a very challenging multiplayer game.

48. Giovani ,

People, I agree with a backgammon.

49. LaraStardust,

hello, people
i can't believe this but I actually agree with most of the problems aminial has raised.
Though, I do have two maybe 4 suggestions:
1: Drafts. Similar to chess. Easy to code base it on the chess code.
2: Cludo. Very interesting game there, if the computer selected the murderer at random, know one would know. Really easy to code again.
3: snakes and ladders, may have already been mentioned...
4: I'm not sure if this is a real game or not, but the myth and magic card game from percy jackson would be awesome if it was real...

So yah, thanks

50. Exink,

1: Drafts. Similar to chess. Easy to code base it on the chess code.

If you mean the game "draughts" which has a similar board to ches and similar principles (in which you have to capture the pieces of your oponent) maybe Aminiel is not interested, 'cause I have posted the rules in french without a reply; finally my post was kept abandoned and many users have also requested it, again, without any reply about it.

Last edited by Exink, Jun 24 2015 22:50:06

51. LaraStardust,

it could be spelt like that, just in england we say drafts, so i thought it was spelt like that heh.
Yes that is the main objective, though your pieces can only move in one direction, unless you get a piece across the board, in which they become royalty and can move where they like.
Or at least, that is the rules I know of

52. Exink,

Haha sorry man, my spelling and typing in english is not so good, since I am not a native english speaker; now the word it's fixed.

Yes, the game works thereby, and I think there is a draughts federation in France. I imagine the game is higly known there.

Last edited by Exink, Jun 24 2015 23:22:24

53. out_and_about ,

But there is a game like the one you are descripting, wich is called reversi.

54. Exink,

No, because the goal of Reversy is to take one or more tokens of your enemy and put it/them between two of your tokens, so they are reversed to you which makes to the Reversy to have that name. Exactly the board is a square like Chess, with an area of sixty four squares, then they are eight by side in total.

And in draughts, its objective is to move the pieces diagonally trough of the black or white squares of a board with the meant longitude, or or with a board with one hundred of squares. The intention is capture the pieces of the oponent skiping over them.

And since a draughts game requires more preparation than a reversy game, its complexity is higher and the game can be so short as a ten minutes game or even, it can take more than a hour in tournaments.

Last edited by Exink, Jun 25 2015 23:53:35

55. Aminiel,

Ah sorry, I have just understood what is draught. There exist two versions, 8x8 and 10x10.

In fact, it's perfectly doable. However, given the success of other strategy games, I'm afraid that it will only interest very few people.

56. Exink,

But as I said, its complexity is a bit higher than Reversy, but lower than a Chess game. I believe there would be more interested players in the idea of making a game like Draughts in spite that there is also an amount of chess players.

In addition, the other games which don't require much strategy aren't always who are the less played (see for example the little exam), and other games like Cribbage are more popular.

This has been requested by many persons in some languages, so maybe we just have to wait some months...

Last edited by Exink, Jun 26 2015 08:40:01

57. LaraStardust,

I agree with humming bird.
I mean cmon think logically aminael.
Chessw players are likely to play it,
maybe half of the reversee will, plus people who like games that are a little harder than reversey, how ever few in numbers they are. So basically its a brilliant idea.

58. wolfi,

how about the cards game speed, it's so nice game. I've played it in real and it was so fun.

59. Riad,

What is it about? I've never heard of it.

60. wolfi,

it's like every one gets fife cards and there is to piles on the table and it's just like the uno but with two piles like for example the first pile has 8 and second pile has 7 you have to play more than it or smaller than it, but you gotta be faster than you aponent and when you're done you have to say speed. sorry if I explained wrong. but I'm lazy. lol

94 messages, 4 pages:  12 3 4 ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post

Lost password ? Create account