What's your screen reader?

104 messages, 4 pages: 1 23  4 ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +0

61. Sajad-Aliraqi,

Happy new year and NVDA forever, Jaws is bad. The developers of NVDA are good people and they still working to make NVDA much accessible for the blind and visually impaired people. They have added lots of features to this great program, I haven't heard someday that Jaws got a new feature. I heard and I've tested and I discovered just disadvantages and errors.
Hehehehehehe something makes me laughing that Jaws requires crack. Hehehehehe, Jaws doesn't deserves the install on the computer, Jaws doesn't deserves even the setup wizard.

62. wolfi,

i've tried both actually, and nvda is way more better

63. Sajad-Aliraqi,

Hehehe sure Ali, NVDA is a ghost not only screen reader. Jaws users, come to NVDA noone better of NVDA.

64. basket,

I prefer voiceover.

65. keyWasFull,

i prefer ASAP

66. Exink,

Then I prefer TalkBack. :DDDD.

67. afrim,

@Sea-lovers,
Well friend, sadly, and you may have all your rights not to accept it, most of the features of Jaws are copied by NVDA. this is a fact, because if you take a look at both screen readers' keyboard shortcuts, you will notice that they have a striking similarity. A similarity, which dates back in 2004 when NVDA was set up. Jaws was founded 10 years ago before that year, which means in 1994. I strongly encourage you to take a look at both screen reader's keyboard shortcuts, and then we'll talk.
I'm 100% conscious that the price of jaws, (1000 dollars) is unfairly high, and even if both screen readers came into a package costing 1000 dollars, they wouldn't deserve that price. People crack jaws because they can't afford it. Jaws meritedly deserves having a setup whizert because NVDA developers wouldn't be able to copy what you are proud of today. Jaws isn't bad because if you say so, you strongly and unthoughtfully contraverse yourself.
If we are honest and know how the situation is going, we will come up with something else, which tells you and me that freedom scientific has some issues, which are not related to jaws, but to money.
Cheers!

68. topSpeed ,

about same keyboard shortcuts , this is done for convenience would you want to learn 100 totally new keyboard shortcuts when you switch to a different screen reader or just a couple new shortcuts? Everybody has his/her opinion , my opinion is simply that at least for me NVDA is better. I don't hate jaws , cause it does work it's just too expensive compared to NVDA which is free and does everything jaws does

69. Sajad-Aliraqi,

@afrim Just tell me how can you use a heavy screen reader like Jaws? Really difficult to brows the files and complicated when you read some texts or until browsing the net, Google specifically. NVDA is good and you can brows everything smoothly.

70. sound2,

We use jaws because we can. In my experience I've found jaws a lot easier than NVDA. The addon of elequence does cut out sometimes, or it gets all crackerly, also when I start internet explorer NVDA goes crazy, and pressing the control key doesn't stop it for a while. As for the keyboard shortcuts I haven't found it similar to jaws, at times they look rather difficult to use. Anyway, people should use what they are most happy with.

71. Artemis13 ,

For me, Jaws is better, cause i started to use it when i got my first computer. I always used it. Once, i tryed to use NVDA also, but it was different, and i still prefer Jaws. I have NVDA on my computer, and sometimes i open it, but it didn't become my favourite screen reader. And, it's not true, how you must pay a lot for Jaws. In Hungary, the developers, who's make Jaws in hungarian, sometimes they do a tender, and the winners (on the latest tender, there was 400 or more winners, and me also), and we can get the latest Jaws update without any limitation. So, if you want to buy Jaws, then you can do it, but in Hungary, most of the uusers who i know, use Jaws. I don't hate NVDA,, cause for some people it's the best screen reader, but i always used Jaws and i always will use it, and i don't want to change the screen reader. Maybe someone says that Jaws is stupid, but both is good with their features. So, i say, don't be against a screen reader, cause every screen reader's developer want to help us.

72. afrim,

@sea-lovers,
I can't get your heaviness that you are describing when using jaws. Rather, I can't understand when you say that jaws is difficult to browse the files, since NVDA doesn't respond as quickly as Jaws does in windows explorer. Also you are saying that jaws is heavy especially when browsing the internet. Is it only me, or is there somebody else who would agree that listening to a phrase like list of 20 items list of two items search results heading level 3 link is so tough.
NVDA is a great, free screen reader and I totally agree that as a free one it offers more than it should, and it is absolutely the one that can come very close to jaws. If I had to choose any screen reader apart from jaws, that would surely be NVDA. but now I will be sticking with jaws.

73. sound2,

Agreed afrim, tables and headings do get a bit much, I guess those features can be turned off?

74. majoz,

@Afrim: Dude, if you would go thourgh the settings, you would easily find buttons where you can toggle this off. Maybe laziness is making people pay so much money just for non work on their side.

75. afrim,

I know all that. I know how to disable them on browse mode. +it is possible to disable some other features related to document formatting.

76. basket,

Afrim, I'm afraid that no matter what you say, these NVDA fan girls will still sing the glory of a second class screen reader. I often found this to be the case. Quite frankly, NVDA has no support what so ever with my database software for work. Moreover, the level of office support with jaws is truly supreme. NVDA is nowhere near as compatible. Less we forget, it is a free screenreader afterall. I've been using jaws for 20 years, and will not switch to a free, yet inferior screen reading solution. Voiceover on the mac is a different story. It has much potential.

77. wolfi,

true but nvda users like us see jaws really hard, so in my computer class or in my school when i use jaws I seriously feel dizy and i don't be that fast when i'm using nvda, and as top speed said you can change the voices if you like, and plus we have a lot of addons and cool features, i did not see anything intresting in jaws.

78. Sajad-Aliraqi,

Anyways, I do not like Jaws.

79. Daredevil,

I downloaded NVDA last night and honestly I found it very difficult to hear the voice and talks way too soft and fast. JAWS is better in that field and with my hearing impairement JAWS voice is 100 times better. JAWS is also faster than NVDA on the internet but this is only a trial for NVDA so far. Once I learn more about NVDA, in the future it might be the one for me but for now, it's JAWS for Windows.

80. afrim,

Oh Basket, don't talk about Mak, please.
Apple has a supreme accessibility that allows you to do nearly everything a person can on a computer.
We are still waiting for the day when we'll be able to format a windows machine on our own, while mak has been offering you this feature for years now.
However, I have to agree with you that the support of Jaws with office is gorgeous. You just have to memorise a bunch of commands.

81. topSpeed ,

only problem with jaws is that you need much much more ram than you would need with NVDA. NVDA will work on practically any computer however since i have 2 gb of ram jaws is crashing alot especially when browsing through large websites.

82. ManCity ,

Another thing I noticed with NVDA, it isn't accessible with some of the webs, for e.g. I was trying to open a link and it wasn't working, after tried the same thing with jaws and boom it worked. So like someone else said already there’s a reason why we pay for jaws and there’s a reason why nvda is free. And just want to clear something up, I meant ESpeak voices sorry to some of the NVDA fans out there, looks like when I said "I hate" took it personally. Imo go jaws go! Why would I use something I don't have a clue of what it's saying? Btw I'm not the first one who doesn't like the ESpeak voices, and surely won't be the last out there. Why would I download something, and right after purchase a new voice? When with jaws I have everything at my fingertips...
At the end of the day, it all depends on the person simple as that.

Last edited by ManCity , Jan 2 2016 12:37:30

83. majoz,

Again settings, settings and settings. Guys if you're lazy to set up your nvda correctly, then don't throw dirt at it. It's all settable, just look into that window and you'll see the right face of nvda usefull.

84. ManCity ,

Not throwing dirt, just my apinion. Nothing wrong with that.

85. fire-starter,

indeed

86. Sajad-Aliraqi,

But to be honest, you can make Jaws accessible as you like by create your own Jaws script. And Jaws scripts are easy to create.
But there's a disadvantage; you can create the script only for Jaws, either NVDA; you can create your own add-on by Python, and Python is a great and famous programing language. So Python allows you to do accessible add-ons and so on.
It allows you some of modules and libraries that you can create a game for NVDA, add-ons, or until an add-on to make some game accessible for NVDA.
For example; I have a game called "G T A san andreas", and this game isn't accessible. You can make it accessible for NVDA by creating your own add-on yourself.

87. fire-starter,

\Lol how to make thos things then?

88. Sajad-Aliraqi,

In Jaws or NVDA

89. kraljpetar ,

it is enough to say nvda is using windows to read things and jaws is using graphiccard

90. topSpeed ,

for those having so much difficulty learning NVDA you should read this carefully https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA this explains some of the main differences between jaws and NVDA

104 messages, 4 pages: 1 23  4 ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post